01 Oct Call for Applications for Master’s Fellowship in Epidemiology and Biostatistics for 2021/2022 Academic Year
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC), in collaboration with the Amref International University (AMIU) and Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology (JOOUST) in Kenya invites suitably qualified candidates to apply for a postgraduate fellowship in a Master’s Degree Programme in Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Successful candidates will be part of a networked cohort of highly skilled applied epidemiologists (Epi fellows) who are able to work with National Public Health Institutes (NPHIs) and National Ministry of Health (MoH) Departments to improve their levels of preparedness, field surveillance, and response to disease outbreaks within the Eastern Africa region. The fellowship is supported through Capacity Development of Applied Epidemiology (CDAE) project in Eastern Africa Region and is funded by the European and Developing Countries and Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) programme of the European Union
- Eligibility Criteria
The following eligibility criteria will apply:
- Holder of a first degree with a background in health sciences, (nursing, medicine, public health, laboratory science, biostatistics, environmental health),
- Early to mid-career health worker based in any of the Eastern Africa Region countries of Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Réunion, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, Somaliland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, and working in a field relevant to epidemiology, biostatistics, public health and/or public health informatics.
- Affiliation to a National Public Health Institute or Ministry of Health institution that is willing to support the applicant to carry out research work in the area epidemiology and biostatistics.
- Must meet admission requirements for the Master of Science in Epidemiology and Biostatistics program at JOOUST or the Master of Public Health in Applied Epidemiology program at AMIU (students admitted into either of the two programs in 2021 are also encouraged to apply for the Epi-fellowship).
- Be prepared to accept the Epi-fellowship in January 14, 2022. Selection criteria will ensure regional, institutional and balance parity.
- Fellowship Package
The fellowship will cover monthly stipend, academic related travel, conference and networking activity support, as well as research and community and policy engagement (CPE) activities. This fellowship will also include mentorship and practical capacity building activities aimed at harnessing a robust suite of field epidemiology and disease surveillance skills, data standards and analytical methodologies, and Background Eligibility Criteria Fellowship Package scientific writing for policy uptake. It will strengthen the capacity of health personnel in epidemiology and biostatistics to efficiently monitor, analyse and interpret disease outbreak data, and to inform policy and decision making within countries in the broader Eastern Africa region that are prone to epidemic outbreaks.
- Application Process
All application documents must be sent online.
1. Fill the online application form and upload the following:
a) Cover Letter (not more than 500 words) detailing motivation for applying for the course and how the programme fits with your overall career goals as well the contribution this training will make in preparing you to respond to pandemics in East Africa and beyond,
b) Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts (from university and high school),
c) A 1,000 word proposed research project concept,
d) Include two support letters from
- a Principal Investigator or head of work institution, showing commitment of the candidate to remain working in the subSaharan region for a minimum of two years after the fellowship,
- a NPHI/MoH and other public health-related institution that is willing to support the Epi fellow’s research work in the area of epidemiology and biostatistics. The two support letters should indicate the email address and mobile telephone number,
e) Commitment to complete the course within 2 years
f) Copy of passport (personal details page) or National Identification (I.D) card,
g) Electronic clear coloured passport size photograph (2cmx2cm, jpg, png, tiff), and
h) Updated CV.
5. Application Deadline
The application letter addressed to the Selection Committee, CDAE and supporting documents must be submitted online via the link provided before October 29, 2021 at 1700 hrs East African Time (EAT). Applications received after this deadline will NOT be considered
6. For more Information, please contact
The Project Administrative Assistant
Tel: +254 20 4001000 | Cell: + 254 727582610